An individual who meet the requirements for naturalization as a foreign spouse can apply for a Certificate of Naturalization and become a Botswana citizen.
Who is eligible?
All foreigners who are married to citizens of Botswana and have resided in Botswana for a period of at least five years.
How do I get this service?
In order to access this service, applicants must complete the following steps.
- The applicant must have applied for a declaration of intention to make an application for a certificate of naturalization (spouse of a citizen)-form K.
- Complete and Submit Form N “Certificate of Naturalization by Foreign Spouse)” along with required documents and fees listed below.
- After the application is received, you will be publicized in the Government Gazzette to give those who are against your citizenship application to voice out their concerns.
- The office will send you a letter via post inviting you for a citizenship interview.
- If your application is rejected, a rejection letter will be sent to you by mail.
- If your application is successful, letters requesting you to renounce your foreign citizenship will be sent to you by mail.
What supporting documents are required?
- Two recent coloured passport size photos.
- Form M supplement.
- Completed police report form.
- Certified copy of valid residence permit.
- Certified copy of marriage certificate.
- Certified copy of spouse’s valid national identity card (Omang).
- Maturity letter.
- Certified copy of valid passport.
How long will this service take?
Approximately one year.
How much does it cost?
The cost is BWP250.00.
Where can I obtain this service?
All Regional Immigration Offices, District Immigration Offices and Missions Abroad.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ministry of Nationality, Immigration and Gender Affairs
Tel. (+267) 361 1300
Toll Free. 0800 600 77
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.