Skip to main content

Settlement of Civil Disputes


While the courts are available to settle disputes, smaller disputes are better suited to be settled at the Kgotla (community level).  Examples of these types of disputes include destruction of crops by livestock and failure to pay back a debt. Another example is disputes where both parties do not wish to go to trial to reconcile and wish to maintain peace within the community.

Who is eligible?

Any parties interested in having disputes addressed by alternative dispute resolution can access this service.

How do I get this service?

The steps involved in this process are as follows:

  • Parties must visit the main Kgotla or ward Kgotla to verbally report dispute to the Headman of Arbitration and to seek redress. Please refer to this List of Tribal Courts (Kgotlas).
  • The Headman would invite the involved parties to attend the hearing at an agreed date.
  • The parties would provide the requested information, discussing the issues with the help of the Headman.
  • With the help of the Headman, all parties involved would arrive at an agreement to which they must all adhere.
What supporting documents are required?

No supporting documents are necessary. 

How long will this service take?

This varies dependent on the availability of the involved parties and Headman of Arbitration, along with the complexity of the matter.

Where can I get more information on this Service

For more information or to access this service, please contact the ward Kgotla or main Kgotla in your area. Please refer to this List of Tribal Courts (Kgotlas)​​.​​ Opening hours are from 07:30 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.​​

Give Us Feedback